Saturday, April 30, 2022

More Tract Meet Snippets---Gugulethu, Manenberg, Parklands, Lotus River, and Lavender Hill

  

 27/04/22


Every day it's something!  Today, Paul went up the street, while Tim and I went back the way we had come.  We walked right into a birthday party!  There was a crowd of kids, mostly girls, in the street, with a speaker, ready to dance to celebrate.  Being rather audacious by this time, we just waded into the crowd and began passing out tracts and talking to the kids.  They were maybe too excited to really talk to seriously, but we tried, and then moved on.  


I walked in on another party about 20 minutes later.  We saw a puppy that looked like it might die.  And we got COLD!  Winter is on the way!  April is chilly as darkness falls.  


We were heading back to the car and a boy was harassing a girl who was trying to beat him off.  I don't know what comes over me sometimes, but I grabbed the boy and did a little Judo throw on him.  I took one semester of Judo in college, over 35 years ago, and I certainly don't practice it, but that boy went down!  He would have hit the sidewalk if I hadn't kind of caught him.  


All this was done lightheartedly.  The boy was just being a tease, the girl was irritated, but not afraid.  I was just being myself.  I guess.  I don't usually flip people.   Just occasionally.  


So then I told the girl, "You need to learn how to defend yourself," and I kind of flipped her, just to show her.  My favorite part of this was Tim.  He just got laughing...rather shocked at his mother.  


Paul got quite the blessing by some guy.  It was a real encouragement, not like getting blessed out, like getting prayed for.  

 


Thursday, March 24, 2022

 

It’s after 7 PM, and we just got home from a “tract meet” where we meet to pass out tracts.  We really got into it.  We parked by a mosque and set off into a VERY people intensive street!  I doubt it was more than 4 blocks long, but it took us nearly an hour to get all the way to the end and back, with stopping to pass out the tracts and talking to people.  I had English, Afrikaans, and Chichewa to offer, but met no one who wanted Chichewa this time.  I used up all I had of the other two and had to get some from Paul!  That’s unusual.

 

Paul had a group of guys who prayed with him to be saved!  Plus, he gave out 300 or 400 tracts.

 

I gave two tracts to two cute young teen girls who were very obviously scoping out the guys.  They started reading “Which way are you going?” in a rather loud, mocking tone, and then suddenly Paul stepped up behind them!  Scared ‘em so bad, the reader ran out into the road and nearly got hit by a car!  Being girls of this age, this made them laugh all the harder.  Paul was SO thankful they didn’t get hurt.  Tim and I got laughing at her fright, and I saw others across the street taking in the drama. 

 

Last night I got home from Joy Club just in time to see the tail lights of our car disappearing down the street, so I missed the tract meet.  Paul and Tim had a great time.  Paul said the people were coming so fast and thick he couldn’t pass them out fast enough!  They went to Military Road which has a significant train depot which deposits hundreds of people coming home from work every afternoon.  Somebody called to Paul from a pickup in the stopped traffic so he went out into the road and gave a bunch to the riders.

 

As usual around here, a bunch of boys recognized Small Paul and ran out to greet him, some of them wearing robes and white hats which show they had been to a religious meeting.  Not important to them, they were glad to see him.  Some of them wanted to “share out” too, but Paul thought that wasn’t the wisest this time.  It would have been rather a mixed message going out there.

 

**** 


Rough times in the tracting department.  Tim got badly bit on the leg by a dog.  It was a small dog, so the bite is on his calf, but it shook us all up a bit.  Lots of blood, and lots of bubbles when we clean it with peroxide. 

 

The neighborhood where this happened was one of the druggist I’ve ever seen.  Small boys with eyes sort of glazed over really upset me.  On the busiest corner by the shacks is a local outreach, led by a brave lady who gives out meals and teaches people.  She invited Paul to speak to her people so he and Tim went back the next day after a school meeting, and set up his chalk equipment on the sidewalk and the people were in chairs on the sidewalk, and he talked to them.  Some passersby stopped to watch too.  It was a neat opportunity.

 

Another highlight was running into Dirk Noble!  Dirk and his family were at our house pretty much every week for three years.  They were like family in some ways.  It was nice to see him again.  His wife has died, his kids were put into foster care, but Dirk has new teeth!  May he follow our Lord. 

 

Last night’s we parked in a sewer sort of.  Charming.  My ardor for tract passing was dimmed by the stench, but the wind was up and so things improved as we got moving.  Tim and I went one way, while Paul went another.  The streets were SO busy.  Paul was standing still for awhile, passing out tracts as fast as he could, and still not getting everyone coming down the streets.  He ran out of English tracts and went back to the car for more, and then ran out a second time!  That’s a lot of tracts!  He wears Cargo Pants, with those extra pockets, and he fills up with tracts all over.  


 

Someone offered me their daughter for Tim’s wife.  He may be our last son to get married, but it’s not for lack of options  😊

 

I loved having Chichewa tracts with me!  The Malawians are so surprised and delighted when we can give them tracts in their own language.  There are many Shona people in that area too, but we don’t have a Shona tract.  Yet?   Their English is generally good as Zimbabwe had a reputation for very good education, and these people of their diaspora (they really call themselves that!) speak good English. 

 

Feb 2021...I just found the following Tract Meet Notes, and I don't think they made it on here.  If they make us laugh, we're sure you're going to like them too.  



 

Lady at Department of Home Affairs line in downtown Cape Town said, “No.” flat and blunt, and almost immediately, people came across the street to ask for more.  The Lord knows I’m a wimp about flat, blunt “no’s” like that, and it was encouraging to have a surge of askers come along right then.

 

In Manenberg, we had a little missy named Rezaan who is quite the little manager!  She was shouting to others, to come get a tract, and telling me which language to give it to them.  I doubt she was more than 8.  She was so pleased with receiving her tract, and told me immediately that she knew Small Paul, and I must say Hi to him.  When she found out he was in the neighborhood passing out tracts, she followed us to the car to greet him herself.  She asked when we’re coming to her school, and I suspect she’d like to arrange it with the principal.

 

It was the day for Paul’s “fan club.”  A boy I met told me, Small Paul is the artist of the century!  I told him I’d pass this along to Paul, as I thought he’d be pleased.  I think they both were.

 

Paul met four men who tried a little intimidation on him, “What are you doing here?  You’re white.”

 

Paul answered back, laughingly, “I can’t help I’m white.  I’m just doing the best I can with what I got.”

 

Then they thanked him, repeatedly, for coming over “to do some good for these people.” 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment