Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I found my thrill...

at Blueberry Bend.

 Two years ago, I posted a blog about our last trip to Blueberry Bend.  The kids were all thrilled with the honor system of paying.  We knew we were going to go blue-berrying the first chance we got so the cloudy day invited us out. 
We had a wonderful surprise.  Normally the berries are $1.50 a pound.  They have a scale at their door, and you just weigh your berries yourself, figure out the price, and slide the money in the slot for the mail.  Cool!  Not a system we are used to seeing in Cape Town.
Well this time, the owner arrived while we were picking.  The boys were full of questions for me, which I hadn't been able to answer, so I was quickly trying to remember them all to ask the owner, Mr. Savigny, I think his name was.  He told us these blueberry bushes were planted in 1983, and should live to be 50 or 60 years old!  He told us that he had fertilized late this year and the weeds had loved it.  They were huge but he had a hard time chopping them because the bushes were so laden with berries, he'd be chopping berries and bushes along with the weeds.

It reminds me of the parable of the wheat and the tares.  They got all mixed in together, and Jesus said to just leave the tares because if you try to separate them, some of the good wheat will get hurt.  It's teaching how people are all mixed together, good and bad, and it's only when God judges that we'll be able to tell who is who.

Anyway, the surprise was that Mr. Savigny said that it was the end of blueberry season and from now on, STARTING WITH US  all blueberries are free!  Whoo-hoo!   
So there's my city slickers with their harvest.  We didn't last too long, with the heat and the bugs and all, but we felt like we got a respectable amount of berries. 

1 comment:

  1. I love blueberry picking. I used to work on a farm in the US.

    ReplyDelete