Sunday, December 5, 2010

My little revelation

Recently I was reading through Ezra 2, and I was not exactly connecting, you know? I was just lacing the lists of guys through my mind. "Now these are the children of the province that went up...the children of Parosh, 2172, the children of Shaphatiah, 372..."

I stopped to ponder a bit in the middle, as in "be still and know that I am God." I knew there had to be a reason why this list is significant to Christians in all generations, and I wanted it to be significant to me too, so I am not just a dumb, clueless blond. So I pondered, and read a little more, and it hit me! Is that irreverent? Probably I should say, I think the Lord gave wisdom as He promised (James 1:17). That's better.

Who do you you know that can get 2172 of their descendants to move? I mean, we're in a generation where parents struggle to get their kids to eat their carrots!

So then I had a ton more to ponder, like first of all, how did someone get 2172 descendants! Were they Duggers? Multiple wives? Maybe, but obviously no abortions in there. Babies must have been welcomed as blessings, Parosh believed God when He said, "Be fruitful and multiply."

So trust and obey, that explains part 1.

I assume that most of these who moved had lived in Babylon area for their whole lives since the captivity was 70 years, so I'm wondering what went on in those 70 years to influence that whole horde of people to move.

I have to assume again, and I'm assuming Parosh and the rest of the list, did what God told His people to do in Deuteronomy 6: teach them diligently to your children, and to your children's children. When you take a walk, talk about it, when you sit down, talk about it, when you lie down and when you rise up.

I bet they drew pictures of Jerusalem to stick up on their walls, and faced Jerusalem way when they prayed. They let their love of God's land show through to their kids.

There must have been some who blended into Babylon and never went back.

I want our kids to get a vision of the place where we're going. I want my grandkids to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved. I want all the descendants of Paul and Vicki to get up and move when that last trumpet sounds. I don't know how many "seed" of ours will be running around the earth when the Lord returns, but I pray we'll have done such a good job painting a picture of the glories of the Lord, that EVERY one of them will be there and that each one will bring others with them.

I don't think I'll ever yawn in Ezra 2 again! Now, what about 1 Chronicles 8....

1 comment:

  1. I love that, Vicki. Keep it up. And as the Lord unfolds His glories to you and gives you visions of the place you're headed, describe them to us.

    ReplyDelete