Monday, October 11, 2010

In Memory of Carol Lewis


Our friend Carol Lewis went to Heaven on Saturday morning, October 9, 2010, exactly 15 years after she helped us welcome our firstborn into the world. We're not sad for Carol. She was a dear friend,a vibrant Christian, and there is no doubt in anyone's mind that she is in Heaven, having a wonderful time.

We have wonderful memories of her. Several people will remember her Mexican/Guatemalan slide show. We laughed til we ached as, for one picture after another, she'd say, "Well, you can't see it, but this is a __________." She had a camera that didn't want to focus, but each photo had memories for her, and we enjoyed her sharing them with us.

I remember when I first met her. She took me under her wing and gave me lots of advice on how to be a good wife to Brother Paul. She should know! Paul's address was with the Lewis Family for several years. They set up a prophet's chamber in their basement, complete with a king sized bed, for Paul to land in between preaching appointments. Not only that, but she was the one who helped Paul schedule his preaching appointments!

I remember when she was "the chip lady" in Westville, collecting and distributing chips to everyone she knew. She set me a great example of hospitality, opening her home to many, many people. I think the most I ever heard of her having was the entire Pacific Garden Missions Choir, but that was just for a meal. Another time she had 15 people sleeping under her roof, eating 3 meals a day with them.

I remember her thriftiness, and money making ideas, like the time we went blueberrying. I loved that one.

Now we think of her in Heaven, just having a blast seeing her little Kurtis who died before he was born, and our little Cherish!

She had a dream before she knew about the cancer. I'm so glad for her. I know that dream was a comfort to her because she told me about it twice. She dreamed she was in Heaven, and a man was there walking his dog. He said to her, "It's nice here; you'll like it."

No comments:

Post a Comment