Friday, September 17, 2010

Comfort

This morning in my devotions, I came to I Kings 14 and a verse that particularly comforted me when our Cherish went to heaven 4 years ago. I still am comforted by it. It's verse 13,



"And all Israel shall mourn for him, and bury him: for he only of Jeroboam shall come to the grave, because in him, there is found some good thing toward the LORD God of Israel in the house of Jeroboam."



This verse reminds me that there are worse things then dying, and it can be a privilege to die and miss those worse things.



Jeroboam was so bad, he set the standard for badness, and any other bad kings that came after him were compared to him, "he walked in the way of Jeroboam." But still, his child's death was not a punishment.



I like that the Bible doesn't say how old this "child" was. Maybe little like our Cherish, or maybe as old as Solomon when he became king. He was 40, yet he called himself a child.



Brother Andrew told in his book, God's Smuggler, about the death of his brother. He couldn't understand how God could let his brother die. Later when Holland was in the grip of famine caused by World War 2, he was so glad Bas wasn't there to suffer through that.


I haven't had that feeling about Cherish, that I'm glad she isn't here for any certain thing, but I do have the feeling that we have one safely tucked in to heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment